Earlier this year, E3 Alliance and Children’s Optimal Health cooperated on a study to find the most common reasons that students miss school. Researchers analyzed the 16,800 absences in 9 schools with demographics that mirrored the Central Texas region. Perhaps not surprising is that acute illness accounted for 48% of school absences – but on the other hand, that means 52% of absences were NOT due to illness. Preventable absences like routine medical appointments, skipping, and travel were all among the top 10 reasons students missed school. Every day counts – if we can reduce those preventable absences by 3 days per student per year, Texas schools could gain an additional $34 million in funding.
To read more about the study and see the presentation of the findings, please visit the following links:
Acute Illness is the Prominent Reason why Students Miss School in Central Texas – Link to press release and presentations
Student Absences in Central Texas – What are the reasons? – Blog post on the study by Dr. Amy Wiseman.